WHAT THEY DO?
The Metallurgist and Materials Engineer has theoretical-practical knowledge and tools to process minerals, metals, ceramics and plastics, including recycling; to give them shape, properties and finishes that society demands; with technical and administrative skills and with awareness of the protection of the environment and living beings.
AREAS OF WORK
- Mining-metallurgical, extractive and transformation companies; concentration of minerals, foundries, steel mills, refineries, including recycling plants.
- Metal mechanical industries, automotive, ceramic and manufacturing.
- Teaching, research and development of technology.
- Consulting services companies and technical-economical training
- Sale of specialized equipment and reagents, technical publishers, etc.
- High school degree completed in Physical -Mathematics Sciences, Technological high school, general High school or Chemical - Biological, Cobach, CBTIS, CBTAS.
- Pass the Admission Exam that consists of four assessments areas: health, knowledge, psychometric and EXANI II.
The principle of a good Metallurgical and Materials Engineer is to have knowledge and interest in basic sciences as main tools as well as curiosity in the origin of metals, alloys and other materials; its obtaining, processing and applications in harmony with the environment.
The graduate of the Metallurgical and Materials Engineering career of the U.A.S.L.P., must:
- Possess the technical knowledge and skills related to minerals, metals and materials, its obtaining and processing; that allow her/him to work as a competent engineer in her/his profession, or to be admitted to prestigious postgraduate centers.
- Be able to communicate effectively in oral and written form, work in groups and in multidisciplinary environments; use English and modern support tools in their professional performance.
- Exercise leadership, manage human, natural and economic resources effectively.
- Be entrepreneur, creative, responsible, and critical; capable of solving complex problems with broad solutions.
- Regulate her/his life in a quality culture, have an investigative spirit and maintain the attitude of continuous learning.
- Have an ecological conscience, professional ethics and make decisions based on positive values, maintaining a social and cultural commitment to her/his homeland and the world.
EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAM
To train specialized professionals, with theoretical and practical knowledge and tools to process minerals, metals, ceramics, plastics, including recycling; to give them shape, properties and finishes that society demands; with technical and administrative skills and with awareness of the protection of the environment and living beings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ACADEMIC AREAS OF THE PROGRAM
The following objectives have been considering the general aspects that students have to achieve at the end of their academic training in each of the specified areas.
Know and apply the procedures for the extraction of minerals and metals, as well as the design and development of processes for this purpose.
Know and apply the processes and procedures to refine and transform metals and alloys into useful products for society.
Know and apply the processes and procedures for the development, synthesis and use of different ceramic, polymeric and composite materials.
EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
The Metallurgical and Materials Engineering program prepares students so that, 5 years after graduation, they can:
To develop professionally as metallurgical and materials engineers applying their knowledge and experience in the design, development, control and optimization of metallurgical and materials processes.
Carry out postgraduate studies and applied research in metallurgy and materials science and engineering that keep them up to date, as well as environmental sciences that allow them to optimize processes for the environment.
Be a leader in management positions or run their own company in the field of metallurgy or materials.
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex materials and metallurgical engineering problems.
- Design, develop, control and optimize processes.
- Conduct applied research to adapt, develop and innovate process technology.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form, in their language and English, to propose solutions to complex problems.
- Have an ecological conscience, professional ethics and make decisions based on positive values, maintaining a social and cultural commitment in a global context.
- Maintain the habit of learning and keep up-to-date in the use of modern engineering techniques and tools.
- Exercise leadership, manage human, natural and economic resources effectively individually and / or in multidisciplinary teams.